Community Bank: Password Best Practices
An Internet Banking password is used to access your On-Line Banking and Bill Pay
information. The following guidelines can
assist you in creating a 'Strong' password to protect you and your on-line
Strong passwords have the following characteristics:
Contain both upper and lower case characters (e.g., a-z, A-Z)
Have digits and punctuation characters as well as letters, e.g., 0-9,
Are at least eight alphanumeric characters long
Are not a word in any language, slang, dialect, jargon, etc.
Are not based on personal information, names of family, etc.
Passwords should never be written down or stored online. Try to create passwords
that can be easily remembered. One way to do this is create a password based on
a song title, affirmation, or other phrase. For example, the phrase might be:
"This May Be One Way To Remember" and the password could be: "TmB1w2R!" or
"Tmb1W>r~" or some other variation.
Note: Do not use either of these examples as passwords.
HCB Password Standards
- Passwords must be at least 8 characters long.
- Passwords require at least 1 upper case letter, 1 lower case letter, and 1 number or special character.
- The special characters allowed are ! @ # $ % ^ * ( or ).
- Accounts will become inactive after 60 days if not used.
- Passwords will expire every 6 months.
BACK TO ON-LINE BANKING